Monday, September 3, 2012

Welcome to Fifth Grade

Dear Fifth Graders and Parents,

Welcome to fifth grade and your last year in elementary school! We're off to a great start and I know we'll have a fabulous year!

As many of you know I spend the summer as a research assistant at the Harvard Forest in Petersham (http://harvardforest.fas.harvard.edu/news). The Harvard Forest is Harvard University's forest ecology/ biology research site as well as part of the Long Term Ecological Research Network (http://www.lternet.edu/). 

For the past two summers I have worked with Dr. Andrew Richardson's Phenocam project. In the fall of 2011, the Ashburnham- Westminster Regional School District became the first of five schools to join  Phenocam Network with the installation of a digital phenocam on the roof of Overlook Middle School. Our school district is now part of a network of near surface remote sensing digital cameras that send images of forest, shrub, and grassland vegetation cover at more than 130 diverse sites in North America to the digital archives at the University of New Hampshire.
Mr. DeHays   Technology Director
          
 As a part of the Phenocam project, students at the K-12 level have expanded the scope of phenological monitoring that is part of the Harvard Forest Schoolyard Ecology Program protocol, Buds, Leaves, and Global Warming. In this protocol, we work with Dr. John O’Keefe to monitor buds and leaves on schoolyard trees to determine the length of the growing season, giving students the opportunity to be a part of real and important research concerning the critical environmental issue of climate change. 

   
This fall I have been invited to present at the LTER All Scientists Meeting in Estes Park, Colorado on September 10-13. (http://asm2012.lternet.edu/). I will be presenting both at the education and phenology working group sessions. 



Ms. Nancy Gera, former fifth grade teacher extraordinaire, will be substituting me for the week. So we don't miss each other too much, I have created this blog to chat and post pictures. 5B and 5C will have opportunities to blog with me at the computer lab, and of course you are welcome to blog from home. There will be a link to this blog on my website, which can be accessed from the JRB website (http://jrb.awrsd.org/class_profile_view.aspx?id=979082df-1678-4faa-8f67-64d4bcd7f2b0)

Unfortunately I will not be at Open House on Sept. 13, but Ms. Gera will be there to welcome you and answer any questions you may have.

Looking forward to "blogging" with you!

Ms. Bennett

Phenology is the study of recurring lifecycle events influenced by seasonal environmental changes, including budburst, flowering, and leaf drop by plants and migration by animals.







13 comments:

  1. Mrs.Bennett I miss you a lot.I hope you are having a swell time in Colorado. I think the forests are very different than the forests in Ashburnham because the forests are mostly in the mountains in Colorado. I can't wait until you come home,and do the science project with us.

    - Sincerely Alex,
    Henry's sister

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Mrs. Bennett i think that the new species would live in the forest and it would live in a ditch in a ground. would be a pretty good hiding spot. the woods would be good because there are plants and grass. there are also a lot of animals like chipmunks or squirrels and the big animals like deer or turkey.

    I think that the mountains are different because they are all close to each other, and they are the same because they are both mountains.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mrs.Bennett
    Are you having fun hope you are in Colorado.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. Bennet,
    i loved your pictures! i think they are very cool! The Estes park is 7,718 higher than briggs. Estes would be hotter because the higher something is, the hotter. The trees would grow faster and the animals would be more warm! I really miss you and hope you are having a good time in Colorado! see you soon! Bye! -Lily!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mrs. Bennett,
    how is it going? I found out that it was 7,708 i hope that is right. right? it will affect the weather and the animals because it is much much colder. i dont think i could survive just wearing a t-shirt. i think that the place you are living in woul;d be warmer because it is closer to the equator.


    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  6. i still enjoy your photo taking skills! do you know the gender of the moose? i miss you! come back soon! i think the moose is a male.
    have you met the technology director yet? please write back soon.
    lilah

    ReplyDelete
  7. the answer to your 2nd question is they do that because the trees are saplings and they don't want it to be damaged that's why they have the fence around it


    Andrew 5C

    ReplyDelete
  8. dear Mrs. bennett,
    the chipmunk looks so fat! i think that the little trees have fences around them because they might fall over because it is very little. just like a baby cant stand up!

    from,
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi mrs. bennett! i thought your pictures were very interesting and i'll show my brothers your blog too, they might be interested! your final thoughts were very meaningful so, here are some of mine:

    -well, we missed you a lot
    -we hope you had a wonderful time
    -we learned a lot from you blog and,
    -we are happy you are back!
    Lily 5B

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I know why the saplings were gated Because of the deer and moose have been eating the trees. I'm glad you are back.



    From
    Chad

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ms. Bennet
    Those pictures are awesome! I wish i could see those Big Horn Sheep.I liked the tips you gave us. That chipmunk was so cute. He reminded me of Simon from Alvin and the Chipmunks!


    your student , Ryleigh

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Mrs. Bennett! Its Lily!I was just bored at home so I wanted to see your blog again. I also wanted to thank you for everything you've helped me with so far with being new and all. i wanted to say that I've made some really good friends and I hope I am starting (or i already am)to fit in. I love this school and the teachers and kids are so nice! So thanks a million!

    your thankful student,Lily!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mrs. Bennett! Lily again! just saying that i can't belive that we have no school tomorrow 10/29/12 and that party was AWESOME!!! i am so happy that i got to listen to my CD too! i do want to go to school though a little because i already miss my friends and lily avery was going to come back to school from her vacation on monday! also i just miss school belive it or not! so just wanted to say hi!

    your ( kind of ) new student,Lily!!

    ReplyDelete